Thursday 6 January 2011

Tequila Kayak Maiden Voyage in Middle Harbour

At last! We have our Tequila tandem kayaks from Anaconda and we are really happy - the guys in store were great, as we exchanged the other kayaks and gear and they helped with all the loading and unloading! (They are now back up to full price, $1,599 at Anaconda, but were on sale at Southern Adventures for around $750.)

They only had one Tequila backrest in stock (we had the last 2 Tequila kayaks) so at least I have one to be going on with and have ordered 3 more.

So yesterday we took one out in Sydney's Middle Harbour to give it a test and see how it went. Lydia and I we went out as a tandem with 3 pieces.




Here it is loaded into the back of our Prado: oops - didn't take photo, will upload next time!
I had to fold down the middle and back seats of the car to get the 3 pieces in - no room for a 2nd child or 2nd middle section (but I am working on that - maybe I can get the front and back sections on the roof bars by myself - as the only weigh 11kg each - and then hopefully I'll have room in the car for 1 of the middle seats to seat Benjamin and have room for 2 middle sections in the back of the car - we'll see. When the 4 of us are out, we shall put the tandems on the roof bars.) There are lots of small spaces for PFDs, rucksack etc.

It was a great morning for paddling - not too hot but sunny to start, so we didn't get too overheated hauling the sections down the track to the water. Amazing to be able to get waterside just 5 minutes from our house, although a lot of extra time was needed to carry the 3 pieces. I am not sure it's the easiest or quickest way - I'd rather be able to park right by the water and carry the sections a small way to the water instead of going up and down a track hauling kayak pieces down to the water.
With the optional backrest in place, the kayak is comfortable to sit in. Even for a short paddle, I think the backrest is essential. They retail at around $85, but can be bought cheaper. The backrest is unique to the Tequila and is made of plastic and slots into 2 pre-existing holes in the kayak. For more information, see Richard's blog.

Compared to my previous sit-on, the kayak's drainage holes worked and kept us dry, which is great! As a tandem it tracks pretty well and for a novice, I thought went pretty quick with the 2 of us paddling. As expected, when used as a solo with just the 2 pieces, it doesn't track so well, but far better than my previous single sit-on kayak. I am hopeful that once I am used to both kayak and paddle, I'll be fine and will be able to go at a reasonable pace for a sit-on.
I had to weigh up the pros and cons of sit-ons, then and those of this particular sit-on. The reassurance of having a sit-on, with the convenience and usability of a modular take-apart kayak, makes this the best kayak for me and my family at the moment. Not forgetting it is in the budget price category too!

Our trip took us from Sugarloaf Bay/Castle Cove towards Roseville Bridge - we kept to the left hand side of the harbour.

We didn't go as far as I'd have liked - up to Roseville Bridge would have been good - as we didn't have the time. But we had an hour and a half on the water enjoying the views and waving to passing paddlers of various types.









(no, I didn't wave to the serious rowers!)

I found the following 2 signs quite reassuring! The first photo (with the sign) shows the steps at the bottom of the a short bushwalk in the southern arm of Castle Cove's North Arm Track which you can get to from the corner of Cammeray Road/Emerstan Drive in Castle Cove. These steps were part of the landing jetty used in the 1870s, as this area of Castle Cove was a picnic ground - the Sunday ferries and boats brought parties of day-trippers. There are still remains of the dance hall and other facilities. After a walk, it's a great spot to stop, rest, enjoy the views and have a bite to eat.
















And I thought this was funny - not sure if the fake Owl has been put on the boat ropes as a bird deterrent or not! It certainly hasn't put off this pair.















The water is so clear at the edges of the harbour - stunning views all along the way, I felt like I didn't want to paddle, just sit and enjoy the views! I spotted a great place for a picnic lunch on another day - a small beach - but as time was limited we had our peanut butter sandwiches on the water. Not my favourite, but quite delicious after an hour's paddling!

If you want to check out some awesome aerial views (as opposed to waterside views!) of Middle Harbour - try AirView Online.

By for now.
Sue

No comments:

Post a Comment